Cash Fares - Accepted only on RT buses. Exact change is required since bus operators do not carry or give change.
Basic Single Tickets - Accepted on buses.
Pre-paid tickets must be validated (date and time stamped) by the fare
vending machine before boarding light rail. Light rail tickets are valid for
two hours from time of validation. Tickets must be validated (date and time stamped) by the fare vending machine before boarding light rail. Tickets to ride on light rail must be purchased before boarding, and are available from fare vending machines located at light rail stations.
- Valid for unlimited rides on RT buses and light rail for the month shown, and through the first business day of the following month.
- Valid for unlimited rides on RT buses and light rail for the
dates shown. Can be purchased for use from the first of the month
through the 15th, or the 16th of the month through the end of the month.
- Valid for unlimited rides until 1:30 a.m. the day after purchase or validation.
Prepaid passes must be validated before boarding light rail
How To Buy RT Fares In Person
- Customer Service & Sales Center at 1225
R Street (Click
- Over 50 retail outlets throughout Sacramento. Monthly Passes/Stickers are sold from the 25th of each month through the 10th of the following month. See
the RT Outlets page.
- Student Monthly Stickers are sold at most high schools and
some middle schools.
- By Phone
(916) 321-2849 (with a major credit card)
- By Mail Order forms are available by calling
Effective September 1, 2009, Central
City/Shuttle fares have been discontinued and transfers will no
longer be issued.
Passengers are required to pay a
Basic or Discount single fare for each trip or may purchase a
daily pass valid for unlimited rides on that day.
Single ride tickets are good for two hours from time of
validation on light rail only. Daily and monthly passes are
valid for unlimited rides on buses and light rail for the date(s)
or month shown.
RT Fares Accepted by Other Transit Agencies
(Click Here for
Using Light Rail Ticket Machines"Four Simple Steps... One Easy Commute"
1. Select Pass or Ticket Type3. Insert Payment
2. Select Quantity
4. Take Ticket
- If you are using a pre-paid ticket, you must validate it in the slot located on the ticket machine before boarding light rail.
Proof of fare payment is required before boarding light rail.
Violators are subject to citation under California Penal Code Section 640.
Fare Vending Machine
Malfunction - If all of the fare vending machines are not in
working order at the light rail station you are departing from and you are
unable to purchase or validate your ticket or pass, you may board the train
without fare. If a Transit Officer requests your proof of fare payment while on
the train, explain the malfunction. They will verify the status of the fare
vending machines. If at least one of the fare vending machines are in working
order, you will still be responsible for having the proper fare.
For your convenience, you can buy the following RT passes and tickets directly from fare vending machines:
Activate the voice annunciation
system for step-by-step instructions.
Activate the language feature
for instructions in Spanish.
Back to top