SacRT COVID-19 Preparedness and June Service Improvements
SacRT recommends that bus riders check here for bus service changes. We recommend checking the page frequently as this page only provides potential trip changes, in which trips can be restored at a later time.
Effective Sunday, June 14, SacRT is adding additional weekday bus service, expanding three SmaRT Ride service zones on Monday, June 15, and continuing to implement best safety practices to help customers with essential travel to destinations around the region while creating a safer transit environment.
The service improvements will partially restore bus service levels to approximately 80 percent of SacRT’s regular service levels (pre-COVID-19) and will include earlier start times for most weekday bus routes, additional trips at the end of the route, and/or added frequency during peak hours. The added service will help SacRT stay ahead of increased demand for transit by providing enough vehicles and frequency to encourage safe social distancing onboard. Weekend bus service will not be affected. Visit sacrt.com/juneservice for more information.
Rider Alert: Due to warmer temperatures, SacRT light rail doors will no longer automatically open during peak commute hours starting on Monday, May 25. The warmer temperatures make it challenging to keep the light rail vehicles cool when all doors are opened at every stop. Customers will need to push the button for the doors to open. Customers are encouraged to carry their own sanitizing wipes or use an elbow to press the door request button, as safety is everyone’s responsibility. In addition, customers can begin front door boarding on buses, as all plexi-glass barriers near the driver’s seat have been installed.
COVID 19 Safety Precautions
The safety and health of our employees and customers has been and continues to be a top priority for SacRT and we are taking a number of proactive measures in response to COVID-19.
How SacRT is keeping you safe:
- Blocking off certain seats in buses and light rail trains to provide physical distancing
- Installing protective plexi-glass barriers on each bus by the driver’s seat to reduce risk when paying fare
- Requiring all employees and riders to wear a face covering or mask*
- Fogging and disinfecting buses, light rail trains and facilities
- Cleaning and sanitizing all touch points
- Providing employees with personal protective equipment (PPE) such as hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, disposable gloves, masks and safety glasses
- Reminding riders to maintain social distancing at stations/stops and onboard vehicles
- Urging riders to download ZipPass the free mobile fare app to reduce touchpoints
- Light rail fare inspectors sanitizing the portable Connect Card tap device after each validation
- Asking customers to not ride transit if they are sick
How you can help:
We urge customers to follow The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention‘s (CDC) recommendations:
- Practice social distancing by keeping at least six feet between you and other people, including our operators and employees
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue, then throw that tissue in the trash. If you don’t have a tissue, use your elbow
- Stay home if you’re not feeling well
- With more people working from home, there is more space on buses and trains for customers to social distance. Please be mindful of other people and their space
- While riding our system, if you need to report any sanitation or cleaning issue, please download the free Alert SacRT App. You can also call Customer Service at 916-321-BUSS (2877)
*Failure to comply with this requirement may lead to a non-compliant passenger being cited under California Public Utilities Code Section 99107(a)(6) or denial of service pursuant to California Civil Code Section 2188.
SacRT will keep you updated on social media, website and email. Sign up for COVID-19 updates here.
SacRT Public Office changes because of COVID-19:
Due to COVID-19, the situation is changing rapidly. Many SacRT public offices are closed to public visits or have limited access.
Closed offices to the public:
- Human Resources, 2810 O Street, Sacramento
- SacRT Administrative Building, 1400 29th Street, Sacramento
Limited in-person hours:
- Customer Service and Sales Center, 1225 R Street, Sacramento (10 a.m to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday).
- Accessible Services Department, 1221 R Street, Sacramento (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday). Please call in advance – 916-557-4685
- Visitors to SacRT’s Customer Service and Sales Center or any SacRT facility are required to wear a mask or face covering. Also, a maximum of five people at a time are allowed inside the Customer Service and Sales Center
All departments are still available by phone:
Human Resources: 916-556-0297
Administrative Office: 916-321-2800
Accessible Services Department: 916-557-4685
Customer Service and Sales Center: 916-321-2877
Customer Advocacy: 916-557-4545