SacRT’s Next Transit Academy Begins in May 2022
Classes will take place Wednesday evenings, May 4 – June 1, 2022
SacRT’s Transit Academy is a free five-class course designed to educate and engage residents, business and community leaders about our planning process and how public transit shapes our communities. Classes will be held once a week over a five-week period. The 2022 Citizen’s Transit Academy will be held May 4 – June 1.
The application period ended on Monday, April 18, 2022.
SacRT looks for participants that live and work in communities throughout our service area. Academy participants will represent Sacramento’s diverse population, which may include a mix of students, business professionals, seniors, individuals with disabilities, appointed and elected officials, key stakeholders and community-minded individuals. Graduates will be recognized as knowledgeable representatives for public transit and be encouraged to engage the community in conversations about the region’s mobility needs.
Go behind the scenes with SacRT!
SacRT’s free Transit Academy includes presentations about public mass transit benefits; SacRT’s operations, budget and governance, planning and scheduling processes, environmental and mobility initiatives; Q & A; interactive discussions; individual action plan; and behind-the-scenes field trips to Sacramento Valley Station to see our region’s new multi-modal rail and transit hub and to SacRT’s bus maintenance facilities. Presenters and speakers include SacRT management, community advocates, and local transit leaders.
Applications received after Monday, April 18 cannot be considered for the 2022 session.
Notification of Participation
Accepted applicants will be notified by Friday, April 22. Accepted applicants must be able to complete at least four of five evening sessions per the schedule above.
Applicant Evaluation Criteria
Applicants will be evaluated on three criteria:
- Location of residence, business operation, or institution/organization within or serving the SacRT service area; and
- Level and experience of involvement in community groups or organizations within the SacRT service area ; and
- Desire to apply what is learned in the Transit Academy to promote the benefits of public mass transportation in the Sacramento region.
To best represent the diverse communities that SacRT serves, participants will be selected based on a cross representation of the above criteria. With limited space (up to 25), not all applicants will be able to participate in the spring 2022 session.
What is the cost of the Transit Academy?
SacRT is not charging a fee to participate. Instead, SacRT asks that participants share, within three months of completion, what they gained and learned with their community networks in order to continue and expand the transportation conversation, which is vital to our region’s quality of life, and the well-being of our communities. Ideas for individual action plans will be discussed during the Transit Academy sessions.
What will I learn about in Transit Academy sessions?
- How your household, your business, and your community benefits from public mass transit; and
- How many new transportation initiatives such as on-demand microtransit service, electric vehicles and SacRT’s own mobile apps will change the mobility landscape in the region; and
- How SacRT is involved with transit-oriented development projects; and
- How SacRT implements its management, governance, and budget; and
- How SacRT plans and operates transit service, including fares; and
- How SacRT’s service integrates with transportation in the Sacramento region; and
- What types of technology, security, and customer amenities SacRT uses to provide on the street service.
What is the Transit Academy’s mission?
The mission of SacRT’s Transit Academy is to educate and encourage partnerships between residents, transit riders, businesses, institutions, community leaders, and elected officials to strengthen delivery of a world-class transit system in the Sacramento region that will reduce congestion, improve air quality, create jobs, attract talent, retain a qualiﬁed workforce, and positively impact the economy.
What are the Transit Academy’s goals?
- Raise participant awareness of public transit benefits, principles, operations, and resources; and
- Develop the leadership capacity of participants to promote positive engagement; and
- Increase Transit Academy participant collaboration and communication with SacRT, city, and county staff around public transit implementation and needs; and
- Promote innovative mobility solutions that will help improve the quality of life for the residents that live, work and play in the Sacramento region.
What is the Transit Academy’s philosophy?
SacRT believes businesses, riders, institutions, and community members and leaders are key partners in SacRT’s ability to deliver a safe, clean, and well-connected mobility network. SacRT believes that open lines of communication and effective working relationships with our customers and communities will promote an engaged public, proactive resolution of concerns, and enjoyment of transit benefits for our daily lives and health. SacRT proudly offers the Transit Academy because it directly supports building a strong vision for our region, the priorities of our ridership, and the success of our business and institutional partners.
For more information, contact:
Transit Academy Coordinator