SacRT COVID-19 Preparedness – SacRT Masks Requirement Extended
Mask Requirement Extended On Board Transit
On December 2, 2021, the Federal Government extended the mask requirement on transit from January 18, 2022 through March 18, 2022.
No Mask, No Ride Policy
SacRT requires anyone waiting at a station or transit center, riding transit (bus, light rail, SmaRT Ride, SacRT GO Paratransit Services, Folsom Stage Line, Causeway Connection, Jibe Express or Rancho CordoVan), or visiting the SacRT Customer Service and Sales Center located at 1225 R Street, to wear a mask.
To request a reasonable modification for this mandate, call 916-321-BUSS (2877).
The Federal Department of Transportation continues to mandate that the public wear a mask onboard planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation regardless if a person is fully vaccinated or not.
People must wear masks that cover both the mouth and nose when awaiting, boarding, traveling on, or disembarking public transit.
The following are attributes of masks needed to fulfill the requirements.
- A properly worn mask completely covers the nose and mouth.
- Cloth masks should be made with two or more layers of a breathable fabric that is tightly woven (i.e., fabrics that do not let light pass through when held up to a light source).
- Mask should be secured to the head with ties, ear loops, or elastic bands that go behind the head. If gaiters are worn, they should have two layers of fabric or be folded to make two layers.
- Mask should fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face.
- Mask should be a solid piece of material without slits, exhalation valves, or punctures.
The following attributes are additionally acceptable as long as masks meet the requirements above.
- Masks can be either manufactured or homemade.
- Masks can be reusable or disposable.
- Masks can have inner filter pockets.
- Clear masks or cloth masks with a clear plastic panel may be used to facilitate communication with people who are hearing impaired or others who need to see a speaker’s mouth to understand speech.
- Medical masks and N-95 respirators fulfill the requirements of the Order.
The following does not fulfill the requirements of the Order.
- Masks worn in a way that does not cover both the mouth and nose
- Face shields or goggles (face shields or goggles may be worn to supplement a mask that meets above required attributes)
- Scarves, ski masks, balaclavas, or bandannas
- Shirt or sweater collars (e.g., turtleneck collars) pulled up over the mouth and nose.
- Masks made from loosely woven fabric or that are knitted, i.e., fabrics that let light pass through
- Masks made from materials that are hard to breathe through (such as vinyl, plastic or leather)
- Masks containing slits, exhalation valves, or punctures
- Masks that do not fit properly (large gaps, too loose or too tight)
To help promote the use of non-medical masks, SacRT is handing out masks, donated by the Federal Transportation Administration, at the Customer Service and Sales Center to customers that request one.
Masks are required for all riders. Individuals with qualifying disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act may contact Accessible Services at 916-321-BUSS (2877), select option 2 to request a reasonable modification to wear a mask to comply with this mandate.
For more information about COVID-19, visit covid19.ca.gov.
Service Alerts – Check Before You Ride
The safety of our employees and customers is a top priority for SacRT. However, we want to remind riders that SacRT may experience driver shortages from time to time due to healthcare, childcare, and other related circumstances. We urge riders to download the free Alert SacRT App for updates on train delays and to check sacrt.com/alerts for any bus cancellations or delays.
Need a Mask?
SacRT is handing out free masks to customers that do not have a mask. They are currently available at the SacRT Customer Service and Sales Center at 1225 R Street (13th Street Light Rail station).
The safety and health of our employees and customers has been and continues to be a top priority for SacRT and we are taking a number of proactive measures in response to COVID-19.
How SacRT is keeping you safe:
- Installed protective plexi-glass barriers on each bus by the driver’s seat to reduce risk when paying fare
- Requiring all employees and riders to wear a mask
- Disinfecting buses, light rail trains and facilities
- Cleaning and sanitizing all touch points
- Providing employees with personal protective equipment (PPE) such as hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, disposable gloves, masks and safety glasses
- Urging riders to download ZipPass the free mobile fare app to reduce touchpoints
- Light rail fare inspectors sanitizing the portable Connect Card tap device after each validation
- Asking customers to not ride transit if they are sick
How you can help:
We urge customers to follow The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention‘s (CDC) recommendations:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue, then throw that tissue in the trash. If you don’t have a tissue, use your elbow
- Stay home if you’re not feeling well
- While riding our system, if you need to report any sanitation or cleaning issue, please download the free Alert SacRT App. You can also call Customer Service at 916-321-BUSS (2877)
SacRT will keep you updated on social media, website and email. Sign up for COVID-19 updates here.
SacRT Public Office changes because of COVID-19:
Due to COVID-19, the situation is changing rapidly. Many SacRT public offices are closed to public visits or have limited access.
Closed offices to the public:
- SacRT Administrative Building, 1400 29th Street, Sacramento
Limited in-person hours:
- Visitors to SacRT’s Customer Service and Sales Center or any SacRT facility are required to wear a mask.
- Customer Service and Sales Center, 1225 R Street, Sacramento (8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday).
- Accessible Services Department, 1221 R Street, Sacramento (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday). Please call in advance – 916-557-4685
- Human Resources (HR), 2810 O Street, Sacramento, has regular business hours 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday). Visitors required to wear a mask.
All departments are still available by phone:
Human Resources: 916-556-0298
Administrative Office: 916-321-2800
Accessible Services Department: 916-557-4685
Customer Service and Sales Center: 916-321-2877
Customer Advocacy: 916-557-4545