SacRT COVID-19 Preparedness – Mask or Face Covering Now Required to Ride
The Sacramento Regional Transit District (SacRT) is requiring anyone (age 2 or older) waiting at a station or transit center, riding transit (bus, light rail, SmaRT Ride, SacRT GO Paratransit Services, Folsom Stage Line, Causeway Connection, Jibe Express or Rancho CordoVan), or visiting the SacRT Customer Service and Sales Center located at 1225 R Street, to wear a mask or face covering.
No Mask, No Ride, No Exceptions Policy
SacRT is requiring anyone waiting at a station or transit center, riding transit (bus, light rail, SmaRT Ride, SacRT GO Paratransit Services, Folsom Stage Line, Causeway Connection, Jibe Express or Rancho CordoVan), or visiting the SacRT Customer Service and Sales Center located at 1225 R Street, to wear a mask or face covering beginning the start of service on Friday, December 11, 2020. In coordination, the Yolo County Transportation District (Yolobus) is also observing the No Mask, No Ride, No Exceptions policy.
SacRT takes the health and safety of our riders and employees very seriously. With the increase in cases of COVID-19, SacRT is taking stricter measures to slow the spread of COVID-19. The “no mask, no ride, no exception” policy has been extended through Sunday, February 5, 2021. After this, the policy will be assessed week by week based on recommendations by the Governor’s office and the Sacramento County Department of Public Health.
Previously, SacRT required passengers to wear a mask or face covering, but accepted exceptions included in the Sacramento County Department of Public Health directives. The new policy will not allow for any exceptions and follows the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s guidance on ADA provisions. In addition, the new policy requires anyone age two and older boarding SacRT vehicles to wear a mask or face covering while riding transit. Bus and light rail operators, as well as other SacRT employees will be required to wear a mask or face covering while in the workplace.
Types of face coverings can include a paper or disposable mask, a cloth mask, a neck gaiter, a scarf, a bandanna, or a religious face covering. A face covering must cover the nose and mouth completely.
To help promote the use of face coverings and non-medical masks, SacRT is currently handing out masks, donated by the Federal Transportation Administration, at the Customer Service and Sales Center to customers that request one. SacRT staff also started handing out masks to customers at key transit centers and stations, and they will soon be available onboard buses and light rail trains upon boarding.
Masks are required for all riders. Individuals with qualifying disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act may contact Accessible Services at 916-321-BUSS (2877), select option 2 to request a reasonable accommodation to wear a mask or face covering to comply with this mandate.
For more information about COVID-19, visit covid19.ca.gov.
Service Alerts – Check Before You Ride
The safety of our employees and customers is a top priority for SacRT. However, we want to remind riders that given the rising cases of COVID-19 in the Greater Sacramento Region and continuation of California’s Stay-at-Home order, SacRT may experience driver shortages from time to time due to healthcare, childcare, and other related circumstances. We urge riders to download the free Alert SacRT App for updates on train delays and to check sacrt.com/alerts for any bus cancellations or delays.
Need a Mask?
SacRT is handing out free masks to customers that do not have a mask. They are currently available at the SacRT Customer Service and Sales Center at 1225 R Street (13th Street Light Rail station).
COVID 19 Safety Precautions
The safety and health of our employees and customers has been and continues to be a top priority for SacRT and we are taking a number of proactive measures in response to COVID-19.
How SacRT is keeping you safe:
- Blocking off certain seats in buses and light rail trains to provide physical distancing
- Installing protective plexi-glass barriers on each bus by the driver’s seat to reduce risk when paying fare
- Requiring all employees and riders to wear a face covering or mask
- Fogging and disinfecting buses, light rail trains and facilities
- Cleaning and sanitizing all touch points
- Providing employees with personal protective equipment (PPE) such as hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, disposable gloves, masks and safety glasses
- Reminding riders to maintain social distancing at stations/stops and onboard vehicles
- Urging riders to download ZipPass the free mobile fare app to reduce touchpoints
- Light rail fare inspectors sanitizing the portable Connect Card tap device after each validation
- Asking customers to not ride transit if they are sick
How you can help:
We urge customers to follow The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention‘s (CDC) recommendations:
- Practice social distancing by keeping at least six feet between you and other people, including our operators and employees
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue, then throw that tissue in the trash. If you don’t have a tissue, use your elbow
- Stay home if you’re not feeling well
- With more people working from home, there is more space on buses and trains for customers to social distance. Please be mindful of other people and their space
- While riding our system, if you need to report any sanitation or cleaning issue, please download the free Alert SacRT App. You can also call Customer Service at 916-321-BUSS (2877)
SacRT will keep you updated on social media, website and email. Sign up for COVID-19 updates here.
SacRT Public Office changes because of COVID-19:
Due to COVID-19, the situation is changing rapidly. Many SacRT public offices are closed to public visits or have limited access.
Closed offices to the public:
- Human Resources, 2810 O Street, Sacramento
- SacRT Administrative Building, 1400 29th Street, Sacramento
Limited in-person hours:
- Customer Service and Sales Center, 1225 R Street, Sacramento (9 a.m to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday).
- Accessible Services Department, 1221 R Street, Sacramento (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday). Please call in advance – 916-557-4685
- Visitors to SacRT’s Customer Service and Sales Center or any SacRT facility are required to wear a mask or face covering. Also, a maximum of five people at a time are allowed inside the Customer Service and Sales Center
All departments are still available by phone:
Human Resources: 916-556-0297
Administrative Office: 916-321-2800
Accessible Services Department: 916-557-4685
Customer Service and Sales Center: 916-321-2877
Customer Advocacy: 916-557-4545